Friday, March 2, 2012

My New Project

At the first of the year, my mom asked me if I wanted to do a quilting class with her at the Cotton Shop. Now, for those of you that don't know, I have tried sewing before. Chad bought me a sewing machine the first year that we were married, and I had every intention of becoming an amazing seamstress. Then, reality set in and I realized that I struggled to even sew straight lines. In short, I haven't sewn since that time (about 9 years). I was a little hesitant to do the class, but I thought it would be fun to spend the time with my mom and my sister.

The class is called the "Block of the Month" class. How it works is, you go to the class and the teachers explain how to do the block and then they give you the material to do it. If you bring back the finished block the next month to the class, you get the materials for the next block for free. Seems simple enough, right? Well, at the first class I realized that I was definitely out of my league. After sitting through a foreign language class, I headed home determined that I could figure it out on my own. HA! After a bunch of help from Chad, and 5 hours later. I was finally done with my first block. I was exhausted! People that sew definitely have a talent that unfortunately I don't possess. But, I do feel like I did pretty good for my first time. Not all of the edges matched up perfectly, but after unpicking it 3 times, I opted to just let it be instead of risking the chance of going insane. So, I give you the first block. One down, 11 to go!

4 comments:

Paige said...

I think it looks really good! I "appreciate" sewing skills but I have zero desire to learn or do that kind of stuff. Ugh! But I am happy to send on my my full support to you! :)

Sarah and Desmond said...

Very nice! :)

Unknown said...

Cute! I wouldn't say I'm a great seamstress, but I'm ok and I LOVE seeing the end result knowing I DID IT! Good job.

And p.s. it kinda looks like a nurse quilt, you know, all red cross like & stuff ;)

Biker5 said...

I think you did a pretty dang good job! Even longtime seamstresses don't always get the seams straight and the lines lined up!