Tuesday, April 29, 2008

We are SO not prepared!

My sister came over yesterday, and as the kids were running around like wild animals, we were upstairs having a rather unsettling conversation about how we were going to be able to survive if something bad were to happen. Such as, the "big" earthquake hits, or some other disaster happens that we would have to rely on things such as food storage to live on. Fun conversation I know. Anyways, it really got me thinking, what would I do? I don't know about most of you but my food storage consists of about 4 cans of Spagetti O's, a case of beef Ramen (yuck!), and some cream of mushroom soup. Now if I had to guess I think my family is in pretty bad shape if something were to happen. So that brings me to my point. I have decided to get my food storage all together and get myself and my family as prepared as we can be for any disaster. Of course this is not the first time that we have been warned to get ourselves prepared. My sister informed me that a lot of the conference talks, and almost all of the lessons this year are geared toward getting our years worth of food storage. (I'm not inactive, i just teach sunbeams and don't hear the lessons in Relief Society). Call me slow, but oh well, I have decided to do it. So I come to you guys to ask for any advice you may have on getting yourself prepared. I am really looking for anything that you have to offer. And I thought that it might be nice for other people to see some ideas when they read my blog. So please help me in my quest, and just remember that if you don't comment then the fate of my family is on your shoulders.....Just Kidding.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am in the same boat except I think you have one more can of spaghetti O's then I do!@! LOL Lets do it together. I need to do it also and would love to have a friends to do it with!

Amy said...

I just ordered a case of four different things at church last Sunday, just can't remember what... I'm not prepared either, but I kept saying I would start after I moved, so now is the time.

Kirstin said...

So our Lehi ward gave a handout and I may have a copy of it. It was between 5-10 a week, and there was one item a week you are suppose to get to build up your food storage. It was so you don't feel overwhelmed with how much you need. I look for the copy to give to you, if I can't find it, I'll email to get it.

TheDaleys said...

I don't know what to do....I'm scared...and hungry.

Corinne Hoyt said...

I have heard about buying cases of water bottles when they are sale. They are ready to go. Sealed already and already purified. This might sound weird too, but when cereal is on sale, buy that. Cereal can be eaten as a meal (I've seen people use water and not milk if needed) or as a snack. It has sugar to help keep you a little sane too. Always just look for whats on sale. This is a good post. Kudos to you!

Kimberly said...

I was looking at Providentliving.org, and you can buy all kinds of food storage crap for cheap at the Home Storage Centers: http://www.providentliving.org/location/display/1,12568,2026-1-4-39291,00.html

Jean said...

Every time you go to the grocery store, pick up one or two extras of the things you eat most - especially if they're on sale. Before you know it, you'll have a pretty good store goin' on!