Thursday, September 30, 2010

Not for everyone...

My job is not for everyone, I have to admit. Some days my goal is just to take a shower or use the bathroom with the door shut. There are early hours, late hours and middle of the night hours. Some days my laundry stack is taller than I am. And other days I am trying to figure out how to get squished carrots out of the carpet. But I love my job. I would not trade it for anything.

I love being a stay at home mom because...I have learned to enjoy shows like Sesame Street and Dora the Explorer. I never thought these shows would be riveting television for me. But, when I see my one, and three-year-old's eyes light up at the sight of one of their favorite characters or hear them laugh when something silly happens, I enjoy it more than any "grown up" show.

I love being a stay at home mom because... I get to see all of my children's "firsts." Most of the "firsts" my girls have had (first smile, step, etc) have been during regular business hours. Had I been elsewhere, I would have missed them.

I love being a stay at home mom because... I don't have to deal with office politics. Around our house the only "promises" made are those that involve what will happen if you eat your peas or what will happen if you hit your sister again.

I love being a stay at home mom because...I get to dry my children's tears. Whether it is something that hurt their feelings or a "boo boo" they got by falling down, I am there to comfort them. While I know I will not always be there when they need comforting, I know that during these important formative years I am the one they go to when they have a problem.

I love being a stay at home mom because... I am there when my children need me. Some days this is the most trying part of the job. When my children need me is often at their crankiest. I have to push all of my pride aside and give them what they need most...T.L.C.

I love being a stay at home mom because...I do not have to keep up on all the latest fashion trends. My attire on most days consists of sweatpants and a T-shirt that is conducive to games of hide and seek and playing with Play-Dough .

I love being a stay at home mom because...everyday is "quality time" with my children. I do not ever feel like I need to carve out time for my children. I get it every day. Whether it's blowing bubbles or drinking smoothies together, every day is full of "quality time."

I love being a stay at home mom because...I get to see the world through the eyes of my children. When I feel like I look terrible yet I see my child's eyes light up when I walk in the room, I am reminded that life is about much more than we think it is. Life is about loving each other, not judging each other.

There are women who have to, or choose to work out of the home. There are days when I want to join them. Sometimes I question my sanity by choosing to be up to elbows in dirty diapers and sticky sippy cups all day. But this is what I have always wanted to do. I aspire to be the best stay at home mom I can be. And that's enough for me.


8 comments:

Tasha said...

Love this post!

Elizabeth said...

Amen! Very well said!

Kelly said...

I love it!! This is one of the best posts, I might have to post something similar!

Jen said...

So very true! I love this post. Nothing better in my opinion either!

A. White Family said...

I know what you mean, I love being a mom too but yes it has it's trials and perks jus like any job. I can't beleive that I have three kids and I have 2 under the age of 2years. Wow time flies by so fast.

Unknown said...

You're right, Nicole! I sat here reading this and could relate, but then I felt that tiny part of guilt in me for NOT feeling everything you do about motherhood.

I'm certain, it's all in how WE were raised what our opinion of motherhood will be. Maybe some would disagree with that, but I felt like my mother hated being a mom. For some reason, it was never in my 'book of life' that I wanted to grow up & be a mom. I knew I wanted kids, but that wasn't "all I ever wanted". It's sad. I feel bad, but then I have to realize that we are all different.

I try every day to be a better mom than the day before and remind myself that this IS the most divine calling. Whether I think so or not.

Lisa & Aukuso said...

Kudos for your for being a stay at home mom...at times I hate that I work, but other times, I feel it makes me a better mom because my time with my child is so precious. Being a stay at home mom has GOT to be the world's hardest, yet most rewarding job.

Thanks for reminding all of us mothers how much we take for granted with the time we do have with our children.

Merm said...

This is a great post. I couldn't agree more with everything you have said. Lately I have been feeling a little pressure (brought on by myself) to get a job... but I feel that if I did I would miss to many precious things with my children and I just can't give that up. This time is so short!