Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Quote By A Great Man

You know how sometimes you go to a church meeting and you feel like a certain lesson was directed right at you?  Well, a couple of Sundays ago I had one of these moments.  Life has been tough lately and this quote by President Hinckley made me stop and realize what an amazing life I really do have, and that I should be grateful for it.  Here is the quote:

Anyone who imagines that bliss in normal
Is going to waste a lot of time
running around shouting
that he's been robbed.

The fact is that most putts don't drop,
most beef is tough,
most children grow up to be just people,
most successful marriages require
a high degree of mutual toleration,
most jobs are more often dull than
otherwise.

Life is like an old-time rail journey...
Delays...sidetracks...smoke...
dust...cinders and jolts,
interspersed only occasionally
by beautiful vistas
and thrilling bursts of speed.

The trick is
to thank the Lord
for letting you have the ride."

-President Gordon B.Hinckley

5 comments:

Jen said...

That's a great quote! I hope things get better. If you need or want to talk you have my number. ;)

Stacy Stoddard said...

that is a good quote.sure helps put a few more things into perspective.

Corinne Hoyt said...

Totally good quote. That's the hardest thing, is to thank Heavenly Father for the things that you do have, and for being alive, especially when things are going so wrong. But, I do know, from experience, that it does help when things are hard.
I miss Relief Society. I love hearing those lessons that are like, "Gosh, am I the only one in the room today? Cuz this teacher is teaching this for me!"

Corinne - Copyright 2013 PontiusFamilyUpdates All Rights Reserved said...

It's so true and he said it so well! Thanks for posting. I'll have to put that on my blog somewhere.

Stacy Stoddard said...

guess it is just time to plan another girls night.